Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dilemma of Choosing a Notebook

Last Monday was a rather hard day for me...since I don't know if I should get a notebook or not! I know I'm a computing student and without a notebook...seems rather peculiar...it's like being a monk who doesn't eat vegetables...

When I was thinking whether should I buy, I kept checking which notebooks belong the cheap category  and among the category which is the best value. I don't want to use more than 1.7k to buy a notebook. If you ask why I set such a low standard, it's because my main machine has always been my desktop.

After finding the range of notebooks that's below 1.7k, I begin estimate how much each component worth. And add them up together too. And discuss with my friends and brother which 1 would be suitable for me too. What a troublesome week that is...just to buy a notebook...



Even on the day of buying the notebook, I'm still thinking whether it's a need or a want...and how much teh tarik and roti canai I can get with the RM1.5k...(By the way, it's 681 sets of teh tarik and roti canai.)

In the end, I bought the Compaq Presario CQ40-406AU which costs RM1.5k in Tesco. The specs are as follows (the geek inside me just want to type it out!):

  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.1GHz

  • 1GB RAM 667MHz

  • Samsung 160GB HDD

  • 14.1 inch Screen

  • Radeon Mobility HD 3200

  • 8X LightScribe SuperMulti DVD +/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

  • HDMI and 3 USB ports

  • Webcam with mic

  • 5 in 1 Card Reader

  • Altec Lansing 2.0 speaker


After buying the notebook, I increased the RAM to 3GB and bought a laptop bagpack (costs RM 50) since the included bag make my shoulder cramp. Beside, I put a lot of things inside my bag to pass my time in APIIT. And I bought a big-a$$ Gigabyte mouse (RM39) also since I can never understand why most people like to use such a small mouse with thier BIG hands! (I got long fingers by the way). I installed Ubuntu 9.04 just to play around with Linux OS~

My notebook

My mouse

My bagpack

I just hope that I didn't make a mistake buying it though...and I hope it can last me for 3 years...

7 comments:

  1. Hey,where's your previous tech blog?Now had turned into personal blog huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya...I'm still an amateur in tech...and out of ideas what I should blog in my tech blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. its looks almost same with mine ><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outside looks the same only...inside leh...different lo

    ReplyDelete
  5. eh my laptop last for 3 months only lo...
    im also in dillema wanted to buy a new one or not??

    ReplyDelete
  6. == if you need to use it then buy lor

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok get dao already....
    then i think i can wait few more months...

    ReplyDelete